Professor Michael Hallek is the Director for the Department of Internal Medicine I at the University of Cologne and the Director of the Center of Integrated Oncology CIO Cologne and Bonn, Germany.
Prof. Hallek gained his medical degree from the University of Munich in 1985 and was a Research Associate at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School from 1990-1992. He became a senior consultant at the University of Munich between 1995-2003. His main research focus is chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
Positions of responsibility/awards:
- Chairman Scientific Committee, European School of Haematology, Paris, since 2018
- Awarded the German Cancer Award and the Arthur Burkhardt Award in 2017
- Awarded the Walter-Siegenthaler Medal in 2016
- Executive Chairman, German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO) since 2018
- On the scientific board of the German Chamber of Physicians (Bundesärztekammer)
- Editor-in-Chief of Oncology and Research Treatment
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Chairman of the Clinical Research Unit 286 “DNA damage response in CLL” (DFG)
- Binet-Rai Medal of the International Workshop on CLL (iwCLL) in 2013
- Awarded the Paul Martini Prize 2012
- Scientific Committee (Core Group) iwCLL 2000
- Research Group Leader, Gene Center Munich, 1994-2005
- In 1996, he founded the German CLL Study Group and acts as chairman